After setting up your import file, create an import template, map the fields, and import the data.
Create an Import
To start the import process:
- Click .
- Click New to create a new import template.
Click the name of an existing import if you want to re-run it with a new file. Then skip to step 6.
- Type in a name (for example, Constant Contact Import).
- Choose the type of data you're importing.
- Choose whether your import file contains individual or organization data.
Warning: These three settings cannot be changed after you save this import template.
- Click Select a File. Browse to and select the import file from your computer.
Tip: Before importing your whole file, create a file with one or two rows of data. Use this file to test your import.
Now you're ready to map your data.
Map the Data
Mapping refers to telling the database that an item in your import file belongs in a particular Bloomerang field. When you select an import file, Bloomerang attempts to map the data for you. If the auto-mapping didn't get it quite right, you can adjust it.
To change a field that is mapped incorrectly or isn't mapped:
- Click on the row.
- Pick the correct column from your import file.
To add a Bloomerang field:
- Click Add Another Field.
- Select the Bloomerang field.
- Select the correct column from your import file.
To remove a field:
- Click X to the right of the field.
To check the mapping:
- In the Preview area, scroll through a few records and make sure your mapping is sound.
- Check that all of your desired fields are being included in mapping.
- Check that the column headers are being mapped to the correct field.
- If you are mapping multiple contact fields of the same type, the last column in the spreadsheet will be made primary in the database.
- Click Next when the mapping is correct.
Preview the Import
The Verify Your Information page shows what will happen when the import runs. Depending on what data you are importing, you see how many:
- New constituents, donations, notes, and interactions will be created.
- Existing constituents and households will be updated.
If you have existing constituents, specify how you want to handle their data:
- Click How Should We Update Existing Constituents and select an option.
Note: Address, email, and phone information always creates new entries to the account. It does not overwrite existing data.
Handle Errors in Your File
If any rows in your file contain incorrect data, they are listed at the bottom of the page as errors. See Import Errors for how to fix them.
Don't worry if you have errors in your file. Move on to the "Import Your Data" section, and you are able to access and fix those errors after you run your import.
Import Your Data
To import your data:
- On the Verify Your Information page, click Run.
- Confirm that you want to run the import.
Warning: Imports are largely irreversible so we always recommend running a test file of the first five rows. You can also send the import file over to Support for review, or chat in for real-time assistance.