Columns display information about report results. Sort or group the report by a column. Filter calculated columns to display specific information.
To add a column:
- Click Add Column.
- Click one or more columns.
- In the next screen, choose if you want to group the report by this column. See "Group Report by a Column."
- Click Add Column(s).
Drag a column to move it.
To edit a column:
- Click the column's name (see Figure 1). You may:
- Rename the column.
- Remove the column from the report.
- For number and currency fields, select what is displayed in the Totals row.
- Group or stop grouping the report by this column.
- Set grouping options.
- Click OK to update the column.
Sort a Column
Reports may be grouped or sorted by one field at a time. When you create a report, they are automatically sorted based on the type of report:
- Constituent: sorted alphabetically by Name
- Transaction, Interaction, or Note: sorted from latest to earliest Date
- Task: sorted from earliest to latest Date
To choose how the report is sorted, click the drop-down arrow beside the column Name.
- When the arrow is pointing up, values start from the smallest and increase. A to Z; 0 to infinity; earliest to latest date.
- When the arrow is pointing down, values start from the largest and decrease. Z to A; infinity to 0; latest to earliest date.
Group Report by a Column
When you add or edit a column, you can choose to group the report by that column:
- When adding a column, choose the field.
When editing a column, click the column name.
- Click Group by This Column.
- Select how you want to sort the column:
- By Value: Sorts alphabetically, numerically, or by rank.
- By Number of Items in Group: How many results are in each group.
- Ascending: Values start from the smallest and increase. A to Z; 0 to infinity.
- Descending: Values start from the largest and decrease. Z to A; infinity to 0.
- Click Collapse Group to One Row to see a summary row instead of all the results.
- Click OK.
The column is automatically moved to the left, as the first column. The number of items in each group is displayed in parenthesis. When a report is both grouped and sorted, results are sorted within each group.
To remove a grouping, click the column name, and click Remove this grouping.
Filter Calculated Columns
Calculated columns are used to compare or calculate numbers. They are available for currency or number fields. They can be filtered to show a part of that information. When you add the columns, they are automatically named after the calculation options you selected.
Figure 2 shows an example of how calculated columns can be used. In a constituent report, you want to see how much individual constituents gave for each year of the past three years. You set up your constituent columns. You add three transaction columns that show the sum of specific transactions. You filter each column to only show transactions for a specific year. Now for each constituent, you see how their giving has grown over the years.
To change what information these columns show:
- Click the column name.
- Set filters for the column. See Report Basics: Add Filters.
- Set the grouping options.
- Click OK.